Monday, December 29, 2008

Why I moved here.

I lived in Fresno for two years after i had left the Marine Corps. In those two years I never met my neighbor. It wasn't the fact that we had different schedules. I saw her every morning and evening as we both got home. You don't talk to strangers in big cities in California. It is one of those unwritten rules. When I was a young child, driving through Los Angeles my mother would always caution us "Don't point at people while we are driving, they might think it's a gang sign". This is the environment I grew up in. The first time I came to Emporia someone came up to me and shook my hand. Out of the blue, just walked up and said hello. I have people wave at me when i drive by. Strangers greet me as I walk down Commercial street. I have met all my neighbors and was over at one of their houses last night for some homemade soup. These are the things that I love about this town. This is why I moved here. This is where I will raise my children. This is my city. It was different when I moved here. Sometimes something that is different is much better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a former E-towner - born & raised, and yes - there's a homey feel to the town. When I moved to KC, I was shocked to have a neighbor knock on my door with a CAKE to welcome me to the neighborhood! I'm glad there are still people and neighborhoods like that in "the big city" too.

    ReplyDelete